Deli 23 can be found in the moorland village of Castleton in the upper Esk valley, high on the North York Moors. An area of wild heather clad moors and a beacon for walking, cycling, fishing and wildlife watching, or simply relaxing with a picnic.
Deli 23 is a family business which is owned and run by Andrew Lillie. Andrew has many years of catering experience bringing a wealth of knowledge to Deli 23. Andrew’s first job was at his father’s Butchers shop is nearby Guisborough, many locals will remember Peter Lillie’s Butchers in the Market Place, outside catering and hotel management followed. Latterly Andrew had a local café concession before going back to his roots in retail. Andrews passion for food and everything Yorkshire inspired Deli 23.
Andrew has lived in or around Castleton for over 50 years.
Andrew has a passion for how and where food is produced and ensures only the best products make it to the shelves at Deli 23. At least 95% of the products available are sourced from within Yorkshire; supporting small scale local producers is a key part of Deli 23’s vision.
Delicious, ethical, local, innovative. We don’t just say it, we live it.
Our Commitment to Sustainability
Deli 23 is kind to the environment in many ways.
- We support local growers and food producers - less food miles, less pollution.
- Our electricity supply is green renewable energy.
- The packaging we use can be recycled, composted or is biodegradable.
- Single use plastic is kept to an absolute minimum, we use paper as an alternative wherever possible.
- We stock an organic range, this means higher levels of animal welfare, lower levels of pesticides, no manufactured herbicides or artificial fertilisers, and more environmentally sustainable management of the land and natural environment, which means more wildlife.
- Deli23 supports fair trade, ensuring producers in developing countries are paid a fair price for their work, by companies in developed countries.